Keeping a variety of industries moving without relying on petroleum
Effective heat transfer is crucial for both low-temperature and high-temperature applications. That’s why companies choose Susterra® propanediol, the higher-performing, bio-based glycol, as the primary ingredient in their heat-transfer fluids.
Susterra® propanediol has exactly the same chemical formula as propylene glycol but a slightly different structure due to the fermentation process used to produce it. This slight structural modification gives it enhanced thermal stability and a longer life in high-heat applications such as solar and geothermal process heating.
Also, Susterra® propanediol shows more favorable viscosity properties at low temperatures than propylene glycol, which can improve energy and pumping efficiencies in cooling applications and reduce maintenance costs.
The benefits of Susterra® propanediol include:
- Improved viscosity at lower temperatures compared with propylene glycol—for greater process cooling efficiency
- Excellent freeze-point depression for aqueous solution applications
- Exceptional degradation properties compared to propylene glycol and ethylene glycol for process-heating applications where stagnation may occur under extreme temperatures
- Higher boiling point versus propylene glycol and ethylene glycol-based heat-transfer fluids
- 100% USDA bio-based material, renewably and sustainably sourced
- Safe, low-toxic, and readily biodegradable
- Approved for incidental food contact under the NSF International HTX-1 specification
- GRAS, Halal, Kosher
- LEED points eligible
Susterra® propanediol is effective in the following low-temperature heat-transfer fluid applications:
Where to buy
DuPont Tate & Lyle offers an extensive network of distributors. Find one in your region.
Request a sample
Formulators and designers can experience the performance of DuPont Tate & Lyle products by requesting a sample.